The Data Security Specialist performs all procedures necessary to ensure the safety of information system assets and to protect systems from intentional or inadvertent access or destruction. Interfaces with user community to understand their security needs and implements procedures to accommodate users. The Data Security Specialist ensures that user community understands and adheres to necessary procedures to maintain security. Familiarity with domain structures, user authentication, and digital signatures. The Data Security Specialist conducts accurate evaluation of the level of security required. He understands firewall theory and configuration. Weighs business needs against security concerns and articulates issues to management. The Data Security Specialist frequently reports to a Data Security Administration Manager.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Primarily responsible for providing support to planning, coordinating and implementing the organization’s information security
- Providing support for facilitating and helping agencies identify their current security infrastructure and defining future programs
- Designing and implementing of firewall and other related security issues on LANs/WANs/MANs
- Operating currently available security tools
- Contributing knowledge of business security practices and procedures, communication protocols, encryption techniques/tools and current Internet/EC technology and executing hardware/software firewalls tools
- Installation and maintenance of security software
- Instructing computer users on security
- Ensuring networks are free of breaches, building firewalls into network infrastructures
- Strong IT skills and knowledge including hardware, software and networks
- You possess a passionate understanding of cloud computing.
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Ability to use logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of IT systems
- A forensic approach to challenges
- A deep understanding of how hackers work and ability to keep up with the fast pace of change in the criminal cyber-underworld
- Ability to seek out vulnerabilities in IT infrastructures
- You have excellent report writing and communication skills.
- You have the ability to multitask and work well independently or with a team.
- Associate’s Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology or a related field
- Minimum 2 years of experience as a Data Security Specialist
- Systems Security Certified Practitioner
- The Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP)
- Certified Information Security Manager (CISM)
- Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP)
- Certified in Risk and Information Systems Control
- Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA)
- Global Information Assurance Certification