Test Engineer determines how to create a process that would best test a particular product in quality assurance, or within related areas, to assure that the product meets applicable specifications. Test Engineer develops test processes and procedures and works with design engineers or the product development team. Test Engineer also tests technical products and reports. Testing Engineers work closely with software developers and program managers to iron out any bugs in the product and improve the quality of the finished product.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Primarily responsible for testing all aspects of the product or system to include the function, component, system, performance, regression and service.
- Sets up test environments, designs test plans, develops test cases/scenarios/usage cases and executes these cases.
- Identify, analyze and create detailed records of problems that appear during testing, such as software defects, bugs, functionality issues, and output errors, and work directly with software developers to find solutions and develop retesting procedures.
- Track problems, resolutions, and bug fixes throughout testing and create a comprehensive database of defects and successful mitigation techniques.
- Create detailed, step-by-step documentation of test procedures for each phase or project as needed to ensure replicability, compliance with standards, and growth of company knowledge base.
- Communicate clearly and effectively with test personnel, users, developers, and clients to facilitate quick resolution of problems and accurate documentation of successes.
- Provide frequent feedback to developers, including recommendations for improvements, evaluation of problems, potential solutions, and discussion of further test requirements.
- Design and implement automated testing tools when possible, and update tools as needed to ensure currency and accuracy.
- An understanding of the software development life cycle as well as the business approach for the product
- Ability to work under pressure and excellent time-management skills and commitment to meet deadlines
- Analytical skills and decision-making ability
- Attention to details
- Ability to work in a team as well as an individual
- Proficiency with database technology (e.g. Oracle, SQL) and scripting languages (e.g. Python, Bash)
- Well-rounded experience with multiple operating systems, virtualization technologies, and test environments will be preferred.
- Associate’s Degree in engineering, Computer Science, Information Technology or a related field
- Minimum 2 years of experience as a Test Engineer